- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 wholegrain burger buns
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 serves McCain Sweet Potato Wedges
- 20g baby rocket
- Aquafaba, to serve
- Cashew mint pesto (Makes about 250ml)
- 100g raw unsalted cashews
- 30g mint leaves
- 20g baby spinach
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 120ml mild olive oil
- Quick-pickled carrot
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 long red chilli, finely sliced
- To make the pesto, soak the cashews in hot water for 1–2 hours until softened. Drain and rinse. Blitz the drained cashews and remaining ingredients in a high speed blender or small food processor until well combined. Season to taste. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Place the mushrooms in a shallow dish, gills-up. Drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with the paprika and a little salt and pepper. Set aside, turning occasionally to coat the mushrooms in the marinade.
- For the pickled carrot, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently until the sugar dissolves. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Drain before serving.
- Heat a chargrill or chargrill pan over medium heat. Grill the cut side of the buns until nicely marked. Cook the mushrooms for 6– 8 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with extra marinade as you go, until tender and well browned.
- Preheat the frying oil to 175°C. Deep fry the wedges from frozen. Cook 1/3 basket (approx. 700g) of product for 3 1/4 – 33/4 minutes. Shake to remove excess oil. When using smaller amounts reduce cooking time. Do not overcook.
- Spread the bottom half of the burger buns with the pesto then top with a few wedges, mushrooms, rocket and some carrot. Add a good dollop of aquafaba mayo then add the lid. Serve with remaining sweet potato wedges and extra pesto and mayo.
TIP: For flexitarians/non-vegans add a beef pattie or grilled marinated chicken breast.